A quick tip for today's entry: make sure not to miss Jennifer Kent's hair-raising, toe-squinching, and all-around terrifying Australian horror film, The Babadook.
The first screening for the midnight crowd at Park City's Egyptian Theatre had people shrieking and gasping throughout. Kent's psychological terror film is steeped in silent-era imagery; she was clearly inspired by films like F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu (1922) and Tod Browning's lost masterpiece London After Midnight (1927).
Star Essie Davis' performance is downright hypnotic. She plays a single mom doing what she can to protect her little boy — no thanks to the film's sound design, which offers a masterful blend that ranges from nuanced manipulation to bone-shattering shocks. (I'm betting that upon multiple viewings, the soundtrack will prove even more disturbing due to Kent's methodical madness.)
What's all the more exciting about this low-budget creepfest is Kent's insistence on using stop-motion special effects instead of CGI. In a post-film Q&A, she mentioned 1920s German animator Lotte Reiniger, whose pioneering "cutout" animated film The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926) is the oldest surviving animated feature in the world. (Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs didn't come out until 1937.)
The results are immensely refreshing and quite thought-provoking — in fact, I got into a few lively discussions (ok, arguments) with some other critics who were confused by some of the film's philosophical choices. I think that's exactly how IFC Midnight Distribution is hoping audiences will react, since they picked up the US theatrical rights halfway through the festival. Boo yeah!
Most Commented On
- i never belive until i saw it will my eyes that dr aluda is real - April 16, 2014
- Eric are you planning on banning the burning of wood - April 16, 2014
- So any landlord who might have Ellised next year or the year - April 16, 2014
- Muni has an abysmal farebox recovery rate as it is - April 16, 2014
- "Planetary climate emergency!!!" - April 16, 2014
- Yeah, glad they made Muni - April 16, 2014
- There was a long discussion here a couple of weeks ago - April 16, 2014
- 100% Clean & Renewable By 2050 Is The New Climate Goal - April 16, 2014
- At minimum, the major arterial routes into downtown could be - April 16, 2014
- This is not what California - April 16, 2014